Insuring your Relocatable House – We’ve made it simple!

Relocating a house should not be a stressful time!


Relocating a house should be a rewarding experience on your way to owning your own home or creating an additional rental income with ease.


Insurance is a question we get asked about a lot. How do you insure a house on the move? This was a question we asked ourselves for a long time and we hunted high and low to get the answer!


Without complicating the issue (after all we are here to make it simple for you!), what follows is an overview of the insurance cover that is recommended for each step of the process for relocating a house. The process for insurance starts even before work on the house is commenced as you want to protect your new purchased asset right from the word go.


There are four basic steps for insurance cover for the duration of your house relocation project and beyond. Some of the insurance cover discussed below you will need, and some may not be required.


  • Cover for your building before the relocation process. This will cover the building for Accidental Loss or Damage for the purchase price should damage occur.
  • Transit Insurance. This covers you for the purchase price of your house (plus freight) from the time it is moved off its current piles, and throughout the transit process and expires as soon as it is lowered onto the piles at its final destination. If your house is going via storage, Transit Insurance Cover is no longer the insurance policy you need. You will need to revert back to the insurance cover discussed above, ‘Cover for your building before the relocation process.’
  • Contract Works Insurance. This insurance will take effect from the moment the house is lowered onto its new piles; whilst being connected to services, decks, stairs added, and any other alterations are completed to the house. The cover here is a Replacement Value one, so we need to know what the Replacement value of the house will be once it is finished.
  • Domestic Dwelling Insurance. Once the house becomes “habitable”, the Contract Works policy will automatically expire, regardless of the expiry date on the contract. Accordingly at this point you will need to insure the house under a Domestic Dwelling policy.


To find out more information and to be put in touch with our Insurance Specialist, click HERE to be taken to our simple on-line form. Once submitted, an insurance agent will be in touch to discuss your exact requirements.


Disclaimer: The information contained in this blog post regarding insurance (including links to external sites) is provided for your information and no responsibility is accepted for any loss, damage or injury arising from the information on this page. While The Relocatable House Co. will endeavour to ensure the information is accurate, no representation is made that the information is accurate or suitable for all consumers. The Relocatable House Co. will not accept liability for any claim founded on the content of this page and by requesting more information regarding insurance, you agree to this condition.